my gorgeous niece

Monday, July 28, 2008

Thing 20

After much coaxing and encouragement from Librarian DOA, I reluctantly started a Facebook page. I really don't like having my name out there, I don't like strangers thinking they know me so I am Hepzibah Pontipee (one of the alternative names for the baby born at the end of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers). I filled out my profile, joined 2 groups (I yell at inanimate objects and Chocolate = Love) and asked a coworker and my adorable nephew (brother to my gorgeous niece) to be friends. Libba Bray Cormier and Me accepted immediately, nephew is pending. LBCM is going to give me a Facebook lesson later so I can try all the little nuances (ever seen the movie Diner where Paul Reiser's character is discussing words he doesn't like/can't trust--nuance is one of them!). As long as I can do this anonymously, I think it could be fun.

I looked at the linked library sites on MySpace as well as the one for the teen area at Minneapolis Public Library. The music is annoying (thank goodness for the mute button), but, yowza, there is a lot of information on those pages. Our library webpage is strictly supervised by the county which doesn't understand the need for color, action and general attractiveness of a webpage so a MySpace page could be a very fun way to get information out to the public, without the rules interfering....

I must admit I don't understand this need to put all of oneself out where everybody can see it. I don't own a cell phone (can't imagine who I'd need to be talking to all of the time...sometimes I don't want anybody to be able to find me) or a computer (yes, I function quite well without one) so I've never been particularly interested in "social networking" and, as a shy person, I am quite selective on who I let into my private life. That said, I think this could be a merry adventure for me, er, Hepzibah Pontipee.

No comments: