my gorgeous niece

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 12

I am a bit of a news junkie, viewing MSNBC several times a day to see what is going on in the world, so this thing really interested me. Well, not what I expected at all. My reactions:
**Digg: not exactly hard news; not every article opened when I clicked on it; rather irreverent and definitely on the liberal side. My favorite article was :The 10 Manliest Superheroes.)
**Reddit: more news but in a home-made, low budget way. My favorite article was: "Bra codes hacked."
**Newsvine: my favorite of the lot; looks more professional had more real news in an interesting mix with news oddities. My favorite article was: :Toddler who dislike spicy food 'racist'" which included a lot of thoughtful, provoking and funny comments from readers.
*Mixx: leads off with popular news; the tour froze my computer so completely I had to reboot. My favorite article was "Muttrimony: Getting married doggy style."

Other than Newsvine, which I would go back to look at again, these three sites were the equivalent of supermarket rags that you look at while you're in the check-out line but cram quickly and embarrassedly back in the rack if anyone catches you reading them.

I did post an article the New York Times on Mixx, the procedure was very simple and the article was about the Anglican Church ordaining women (and other problems they are having). http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/world/europe/08anglican.html?ex=1373256000&en=281d8b3408cedc78&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

This is something that interests me personally (see first sentence above) but I don't see a professional use for it.

No comments: