my gorgeous niece

Monday, June 23, 2008

Thing 7

E-mail is a mixed blessing. Sometimes I'll get a quick response when I need it, sometimes my e-mail gets lost in the shuffle and I have to send and re-send my questions, comments, concerns. Sometimes, it is just easier (and faster) to pick up the phone.
I've done some answering of questions on our "Ask A Librarian" service and have really mixed reactions to that, too. For a straightforward question, it is great. When a customer is frustrated or angry or simply unable to clearly describe what is wanted, it is really difficult. It is hard to soothe someone without your voice, body language, etc.
IM is so foreign to me. I do not understand the language. I do not understand the need for immediacy.
I watched part of the Library 2.0 webinar on MINITEX. It is hard to listen to a disembodied voice and see only the powerpoint presentation. I found my attention wandering and my body resenting sitting in an uncomfortable desk chair. I do like that the webinars are available, some of them looked quite interesting.

No comments: