my gorgeous niece

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The last post (in this format anyway)

Okay, my one sentence description of my 23 things on a stick experience would be: Wow, was there a lot of frustration involved. Not being a techie really put me at a disadvantage. I don't know a lot of the "common" procedures and the language--many of the things we looked at assume more knowledge than I have. Directions were sadly unhelpful for many of the things. I really liked the things that could help me professionally (Library Things; del.ici.ous and the RSS feeds) but the more social things left me cold. I like to be actively involved, not just reading...which I don't enjoy doing from a computer screen. I loved Flickr, could spend hours idly hopping from interest to interest, place to place. This will be useful in the future. I was delighted that I actually knew (and had recommended to customers) about one of the things (the Assignment Calculator), yeah for me! This entire experience has brought me closer to my fellow librarians because they had to answer so many questions and hold my hand through many applications and, bless their lovely little hearts, listen to me whine! It really took a village to get me through this experience!

As I said in my evaluation, please remember the children's librarians next time...or give us our own 23 Things on a Stick! I would have been happier working on this if I could easily picture how to use each thing professionally.

My last words on the subject: bring on the chocolate!!!

No comments: